I know that my last posts have been vague about who Genesis is and what this story is even about, and I'm sorry about that. Genesis is a female humanoid being from the beginning of time. There are others like her, and collectively they are called many things: the Eternals, the Watchers, the Immortal Guides. I wrote in my intro that "they call themselves 'beginning' in a million tongues" because each of them have a name that means "beginning" in all the languages of the universe (thus Genesis). They are meant to guide creatures towards civilization. They did not start with Earth, nor will they stop until all civilization ceases to exist. When they were done with Earth, they all left and Genesis stayed behind because she was curious about us. The story is not going to be about her being worshiped by Aztecs, riding with Genghis Khan, or helping to start the French Revolution, though she has done all those things (she has been here since the first cities in the fertile crescent after all). It's going to be her in a modern-day American city owning a tattoo parlor on the bad side of town and the main point will be if she's not human, then what makes us us?
I only figured out the "what makes us human" part yesterday while I was researching quirky cities to base where she lives off of. I started to ask "why am I focusing so much on the location when it's not the main point of the story? What is the main point of the story?" and this is what I ended up with. Genesis was originally a side character in a book I tried to write that was abandoned, but I really liked her and a couple other characters that will show up as her friends (well, people she hangs out with. Her kind have no sense of loyalty).
So finding the main point and researching ideas for a location have been done. As far as finding a mentor goes, I have messaged John Green, author of many good books and all around cool person, about possibly being my mentor, though I'm not sure how much I'll need one at all since this will be the 5th story of novel length I've written. If he hasn't gotten back to me by Tuesday or Wednesday I'm going to ask Mr. Murphy at school about it since he's written and published two young adult fantasy books, which tends to be what I write. This next week I'm going to start actually writing and hopefully start working on this outside of class because I'm bad about that.
No comments:
Post a Comment